Friday, January 22, 2010

Gun-shy

Here are some more art samples for my first graphic novel, a collection of hard boiled western horror comics. This pages feature a Machine Gun Kelly type gangster character and an aging Jesse James type character meeting in a gun battle. For most pages I draw each panel on a different sketchbook page, sometimes using a reference collage like below. The individual panels are scanned and put together on a page template in Photoshop. I then do the inks on a vellum overlay over a b&w print of the assembled pencil pages. But for pages like this one I draw them full size on bristol board, in non-photo blue after a lot of sketches.  

Click on the images for a closer look!
























I'm a little "gun-shy," so I scanned in the blue pencil page so I could print out details to "test-ink" some details and experiment with the lines, light and shadows. 





No comments: